Thursday, January 17, 2008

Matta's is Closing

I shudder at the title of this post; I truly never thought it would come to this- Matta's is closing. My good friend David, forwarded me on the Tribune article today and my jaw dropped when I read it. For any of you non-Arizonans (or perhaps, to be more specific, non-Mesa residents) who may not know it- Matta's is a Mexican restaurant that has been a staple and symbol of Mesa, Arizona since 1953. It is home to some of the best chips and salsa in town (scratch that... make it "best chips and salsa in the WORLD") and has an atmosphere that has come to define downtown Mesa and the history that surrounds it. Sure, its not the end of the world, but man am I going to miss it!

When an establishment like this closes, one cannot help but reminisce the memories that have been made throughout the years. My parents took us here for years when my brother and I were children and it became 'our restaurant'. Indeed, my parents often frequented Matta's during their high school/college years, and it is as much or more a part of their personal history than my own. I can distinctly remember birthdays, baptism celebrations, graduation dinners, family night outings, father-son pow wows, work lunches, and a plethora of other occasions at this restaurant. It's hard to let go of something that has become a symbol of your childhood, as silly as that seems. Humans are beings of tradition and personal history; Matta's was definitely part of that for me. Matta's you will be sorely missed!

A Sidenote- Throughout the years Matta's has established a few new restaurants that bear its namesake (though in my opinion, none of them maintain the atmosphere and feel of the original). These off-shoot restaurants will continue to remain open; just the main restaurant, which is operated by 85-year old Mary Lou Matta, is closing. You can read the article published in the Tribune for more information about this.

1 comment:

David & Paige said...

I had lunch there today...to say goodbye.

I had the Robert's Tacos with a side of beans, as well as a cheese crisp...and of course, plenty of chips and salsa.

(my stomach still hurts 2 hours later!)

Oh, and I left with 8 bowls of chips and a pint of Mary Lou's salsa.

R.I.P.